See? I told you guys I'd post the pictures from yesterday's Easter market today. I almost said "the heck with it" and got ready for bed, but somehow mustered the energy to go through my pictures and do this. As mentioned yesterday, we went to the city of Maulbronn for an Easter market. The market was held in the city's monastery. The Maulbronn Monastery, founded in 1147, is the best-preserved medieval monastery in Europe. Read more about the monastery here, if you're interested.
What a beautiful setting for an Easter market. Right behind the monastery (I didn't take pictures of this) and going uphill, was a vineyard, which made for a lovely backdrop. And I just love old buildings; especially the half-timbered kinds that were common during medieval times. See the half-timbered building with blue shutters? Love it.
In the middle of the courtyard, a fountain was all decked out in evergreen and Easter eggs. Sina loved all the eggs. Thank goodness those were plastic!
I really shouldn't joke about Sina breaking eggs that day. Truth be told...she didn't break any at all. On the other hand, I broke one before we even went into the actual market. I ended up paying six Euros for an egg in a small store outside.
We entered the market in the nick of time. Right after we checked in, a massive line formed outside and people ended up waiting a long time; mostly because the space (where all the kiosks were) was so small and could only accompany so many. I was asked to park my stroller outside, as a matter of fact. Luckily, Sina wasn't fussy at all. She walked quietly by my side, enjoying the sights while hanging on to my hand. So sweet.
So these eggs...were works of art. Seriously. There were so many kinds, and I didn't even get to every vendor. Of course, most of the eggs were real. Some were plastic or made of wood. I bought almost a dozen eggs ranging from under two Euros to ten, but there were some priced in the 100's!
I was luckily able to snag these photos of the eggs. Most of the vendors didn't want people taking pictures of their goods. Not sure why no one waived me away, but I'm sure glad they didn't!
This was actually my favorite vendor...these eggs were more my style. Whimsical and fun. Sina was given one of those paper ornaments for free. She received a gnome :)
Some vendors demonstrated their crafts. I can only say that I would never have the patience to do any of this!
Lovely wreaths.
Look at the vibrant colors and patterns!
I couldn't believe how beautiful these were. These are actually wooden eggs and cost a pretty penny.
Another favorite batch. The dots are actually dots of candle wax!
These designs were sewn onto the eggs. Amazing!
These were the ones I walked away with.
As we were leaving, I calculated about 60 Euros in decorated eggs. I just couldn't believe that I'd blown that much money on eggs. And it's only my first Easter market! I'm definitely going to have to pace myself from here on out. I know people that have spent literally thousands on these decorative eggs. At this rate, I'm in trouble :)
Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life trying not to break these between PCS moves. On the other hand, they will be nice conversation pieces for company everytime I set my Easter egg tree up each year. As soon as I find some good branches, these will be hanging right on our dining room table until Easter!
Anyway, thanks for tuning in you guys. I hate to end this so abruptly, but this girl needs to hit the sack. Another long day ahead of me tomorrow!
Good night and Happy Monday for you folks back home!







No comments:
Post a Comment