We originally had plans to spend the weekend in Trier and Spangdahlem Air Base, but it didn't quite pan out and for no good reason other than we just didn't feel like it. Instead, we decided to go someplace closer and spent the afternoon/evening at Ramstein Air Base. The base is about a two hour drive from Stuttgart and the last time we'd been there was when we flew in from the states in January.
Now, the best PX that I've ever been to is the one at Fort Bliss, which was our last duty station. I mean the place is like an outdoor mall with a huge PX, a movie theater, and good restaurants (i.e. Buffalo Wild Wings, Smash Burger, Einstein Bros. Bagels and the other usual restaurants). I just found out that they recently opened Denny's and just when I thought no one could top that one, the Air Force steps in (as usual) and shows us their PX at Ramstein. The actual PX is humongous (with the biggest Vera Bradley collection I've seen) and it's got more stores, a spa, a hotel, tons of restaurants...even, a Macaroni Grill.
Apparently, this place is the happening place to be on the weekends. I thought it was just because it's a long weekend, but we talked to a few people who told us it's always like that there. I mean, the place was crowded. You would have thought it was Black Friday the way people were parading around in there, buying up Christmas decorations and stuff. It was complete chaos. We also ran into folks from Stuttgart over there. Apparently, they think Ramstein is the bees knees too.
Um....we bought a lot. Most of it was Christmas decorations and Malu needed some clothes. Notice how Sina is practically buried under our merchandise. She was less than pleased. I was less than pleased that all the Christmas decorations were so darn expensive. I got so frustrated, I considered putting everything back and not putting a Christmas tree up this year. I didn't have the heart to do that to my little girl. Plus, what's Christmas without a tree? Stupid me...it's my fault we left a perfectly good tree and decorations in storage back in the states.
And...we actually got a taste of home. They have a Chili's--not at the PX, but not too far from it and, truth be told, it was my true reason for going to Ramstein. What a treat! It was a little bit of a wait and the service was under par, but my Southwestern Eggrolls and fajitas were just as I remembered them! Heavenly! Sina seemed to enjoy Chili's too. In fact, she finally learned how to drink from a straw there!
All in all, a good day. Why do weekends have to go by so quickly? Tomorrow's our last day to relax. Hope you all are enjoying your weekend too!








1 comment:
We drove down to Ramstein this weekend too! Friday, actually. Great minds think alike! It was super crowded and we bought alot too. Mostly Christmas gifts. We usually head up there ever other month because their BX has SO much more than the PX here in Wiesbaden! Sounds like you guys had a blast!
Post a Comment