Finishing up on our trip to Regensburg with the Finch Family over the 4th of July weekend....the city sits along the Danube River (in German, it's Donau), Europe's second longest river. One of the first things we saw as we entered the city, was the Old Stone Bridge (or Steinerne Brucke), which was built from 1135-1146. This medieval bridge crosses the Danube and is said to have been crossed by knights during the Crusades on their way to the Holy Land. Interestingly (and kinda creepy), most ancient bridges have devil-related myths or folktales applied to them and are termed "Devil's Bridges". Click here if you're interested in the tale associated with Regensburg's Old Stone Bridge.
The Danube is also known for its whirlpools, but I forget why. I think it also has to do with the devil folktale. We saw the whirlpools too! Can you see them behind me?
![]() |
| Kinda nervous about falling into the water behind me! |
Right next to the Old Stone Bridge is the historical Wurstkuchl, the oldest sausage tavern in the world--500 years old! You can't really see the sign on top of the building (which isn't all that big either) that's behind Malu, but that place serves up the most delicious wurst (with sauerkraut) that I've ever had. They even a specialty mustard that is out of this world!
![]() |
| Love the sneek peek of the cathedral behind Malu. |
![]() |
| Look at all that wurst (sausage)! |
![]() |
| Gettin' our grub on! Love the look on Sina's face. (Me & Sina with Mattie, Eric & little Madisen) |
![]() |
| Malu and Mattie. Delicious! |
In the vicinity of the cathedral are tons of shops and restaurants. Right across the street are these colorful buildings.
There's an ice cream parlor (or eis cafe) that we just had to stop at. I mean, what's wurst without dessert, right? Check these out. I think I was the most excited about this. I mean, I. was. in. heaven.




















2 comments:
how fun!!! I love all the pictures!
Oh my gosh, Germany looks amazing! :)
I wish I could come visit!
Post a Comment